Renters Legal Liability is an innovative, property damage loss waiver option program. Available in all 50 states, the program is designed to protect apartment communities – owners, managers and residents – from damages that originate from participating units that are caused by residents. The program handles financial costs and responsibility for residents when they cause damage to the community’s common elements or other apartment units.
Through the RLL program:
- Residents have the choice of participating in the RLL property damage loss waiver program, or by purchasing a renter’s insurance HO-4 policy.
- The owner/manager are primary on the program.
- Participation is corporate-based and is managed by the community owner/manager as the program administrator.
RLL’s three main components are:
- RLL eliminates nuisance claims against community owner’s property insurance, as the $250 deductible falls below typical $10,000 or higher property deductibles on primary P&C policies.
- RLL pays first dollar on all losses originated by participating residents after the deductible. Since all losses caused by RLL participants under $100,000 are submitted to RLL, community owners/managers are able to dramatically control their P&C loss ratios.
- There is a potential preferred status with portfolio’s/community’s P&C carrier based on participation. Many RLL clients have realized 5% – 15% decreases on annual premiums from property P&C carriers.
- Master community-based $100,000 property damage loss waiver option program.
- The owner/manager is the program administrator. Implementation is simple.
- The community requires $100,000 of property damage liability coverage from all residents.
- All new and existing residents are automatically approved, no application and no underwriting criteria. The RLL monthly cost, per participating resident, is billed directly to the community.
- RLL’s proprietary software program provides delivery, monitoring, and reporting systems that manage the entire process.
- RLL provides online and/or on-site training and support.
- The program integrates with management software for a seamless, easy interface.
Multi-family housing companies should recognize the high cost of resident-caused losses, and should realize the financial implications of their exposure. Further, they need to identify the tools required to remedy this situation. RLL is, in fact, the solution.